Household Hazardous Waste

Recycling acceptable household hazardous waste is free at the Spokane Valley University Transfer Station.

Watch our Household Hazardous Waste disposal ad on YouTube.

Remember to secure your load (PDF) when you go to the transfer station.

Acceptable Household Hazardous Waste Items

Household hazardous waste is accepted in containers of five gallons or less.

  • Aerosol cans - if not empty
  • Ashes - household only
  • Batteries
  • Fire extinguishers
  • Fluorescent bulbs, tubes, CFL bulbs, etc.
  • Glues and adhesives
  • Household cleaners - ammonia, bleach, disinfectants, oven and toilet cleaners, etc.
  • Items containing mercury such as thermometers/thermostats
  • Motor oil/antifreeze/brake fluid/gasoline
  • Non-latex paint/paint thinners/solvents
  • Pesticides/fertilizers/garden chemicals
  • Pool and spa supplies
  • Residential refrigerators/air conditioners
  • Road flares
  • Syringes/sharps (must be in puncture-proof container such as a pop bottle with lid or chlorine jug with lid)

Some types of leftover household hazardous waste, such as paint, pesticides and fertilizers, can be used by others. If you have such items and want to make them available for others, please place them on the designated cart at the transfer station. If you can reuse such items, please see attendant before taking them with you.

Non-Acceptable Household Hazardous Waste

The following types of household hazardous waste are not accepted:

Infectious waste, radioactive, dangerous, hazardous or extremely hazardous waste such as -

  • Ammunition or explosives
  • Asbestos
  • Bio-medical or bio-hazardous waste
  • Commercially generated ashes
  • Liquid wastes not listed above
  • Medications (accepted at Spokane Valley Police Precinct, 12710 E Sprague) See the Drug Take-Back Brochure (PDF).
  • Propane tanks
  • Sewage sludge/other biosolids

We do not accept commercial or industrial hazardous waste. Please contact Sunshine Disposal and Recycling at 509-924-5678 for information on these materials.

For recycling electronic waste such as televisions / computers / phones, go to E-Cycle Washington or call 360-407-7157 (long-distance charges may apply).

For other fluorescent, CFL and HID bulb recycling locations: Light Recycle WA.

For disposal of unused, unwanted and expired medications, take to Spokane Valley Police Precinct, 12710 E Sprague Avenue, Spokane Valley. Phone: 509-477-3300