Traffic: Frequently Asked Questions

Bus service 

Transit service in Spokane Valley is provided by the Spokane Transit Authority. Find information on routes, scheduling, and fares or call 509-328-RIDE.

Centennial Trail

See information on the Centennial Trail, or call Friends of the Centennial Trail at 509-624-7188.


For concerns regarding pedestrian safety or to request the installation of a crosswalk, please fill out the Traffic Engineering Request Form.

Flashing Yellow Arrow Signals

Instructions on how to use Spokane Valley's new flashing yellow arrow signals (PDF).

Freeway Information

For information on I-90, contact the Washington State Department of Transportation.

Intersection Sight Distances (Clear View Triangle)

Learn more about clear-view triangles and sight obstructions in our Municipal Code, SVMC22.70.020. To report a problem, please fill out the Traffic Engineering Request Form.

No Trucks

Some specific roadways in the City are closed to truck traffic as defined by Section 9.30 of the Spokane Valley Municipal Code. This section of code also places restrictions on commercial vehicle idling and operation of refrigeration units within residential areas.


On-street parking is regulated by RCW 46.61.570 and SVMC 9.40. Vehicles parked on the street for long periods of time may be reported as abandoned by calling Crime Check at 456-2233.

School Bus Right-of-Way

According to the Washington State Department of Licensing "Washington Driver Guide:"

You must stop for a school bus that is stopped with its red lights flashing whether it is on your side of the road, the opposite side of the road, or at an intersection you are approaching. You are not required to stop for a school bus with red lights flashing when the stopped school bus is traveling in the opposite direction and the roadway:

  • has three or more marked traffic lanes,
  • is separated by a median,
  • or is separated by a physical barrier.


Read answers to frequently asked questions about signage.

Snow plowing

See snowplowing information.

Speed laws

A commitment to establishing realistic speed limits is the foundation of the nationally-recognized Basic Speed Law. The Revised Code of Washington (RCW 46.61.400) This law focuses on the responsibility of drivers to modify their behavior in response to changes in roadway conditions. The law states:

No person shall drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing. In every event, speed shall be so controlled as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any person, vehicle, or other conveyance on or entering the highway in compliance with legal requirements and the duty of all persons to use due care.

Speed limits

State law (RCW 46.61.415) allows cities and counties to set speed limits different that the Basic Speed Limits. The Basic Speed Limit under the RCW is 25 miles per hour (mph) on city streets and 50 mph on county roads, unless otherwise posted. The postings for higher or lower speed limits in determined through individual traffic investigations. Prevailing speed studies, accident history, and roadway conditions are considered in the investigations. To request a change in speed limits, please fill out the Traffic Engineering Request Form.

Street Maintenance & Repair

See Street Maintenance information.

Street Parties

For more information on street party permits, contact Parks and Recreation at 720-5200.

Street Sweeping

See street sweeping information.


For more information regarding vanpools, please contact the Spokane Transit Authority at 456-PASS (456-7277).

Wire Height over Roadways

(1) The height of overhead wires over roadways is regulated by Washington State Labor and Industries with the National Electrical Code Article 230.24 (B);

(2) 12 feet over residential property and driveways, and those commercial areas not subject to truck traffic where voltage does not exceed 300 volts to ground;

(3) 15 feet for those areas listed in the (12 feet) classification where the voltage exceeds 300 volts to ground;

(4) 18 feet over public streets, alleys, roads, parking areas subject to truck traffic, driveways on other than residential property, and other land such as cultivated, grazing, forest, and orchard.